Dear Travel Agent,
Growing up is hard, but I can proudly say that I am getting wiser, not older and more tired. I’m smarter and I appreciate myself more.
Being more assertive and confident and knowing myself better, while at the same time being kind and passionate can be a little tricky. After all, at the end of each day, me, myself and I all have to get together and be happy with who I am. I need to look in the mirror every day and believe I am moving forward, forgive myself for mistakes, ask for forgiveness, and try to be the best I can be.
I probably watch too much Judge Judy, yes, I will confess to that, but with the help of my therapist I am truly learning to feel better inside my own skin and am working on the things I consider to be my flaws.
I have come up with a list of how I can best live within myself:
- I don’t lend money – I am not a bank. If I need to help someone with an amount that doesn’t take away my sleep, I will give the money with no strings attached.
- I don’t co-sign. My credit score is priceless, and I can’t afford to lose it, nor can I lose a friend or family member.
- I don’t ask for favors. My friends and family know me well enough to offer when I am in need. I am blessed!
- I don’t like to dispute controversial subjects; everyone has a right to their own opinion. Very few people really know my views and I like to keep it this way. I don’t judge, and I don’t want to be judged.
- I avoid negative people, gossip, or unsolicited advice. I love people with sense of humor, who are kind and thoughtful.
- I love collections. I collect countries, I have been to 78, and counting. I don’t collect friends. In that category, I believe in quality versus quantity.
- I am working hard on being assertive. I’m feeling very proud of myself and thank God that I have plenty of people to practice with.
Now, I need to print this list and carry it with me or save it on my iPhone (to save paper). If someone approaches me and asks to borrow money, for example, I can use my number 7 and be assertive, or show them my list if it is one of my not-so-good days.
Truth be told, we are all just human beings trying to be the best we can be.
How about you?